Today, Keep Britain Tidy has announced that four Bournemouth beaches have been awarded 2016 Blue Flag status – Alum Chine, Durley Chine, Fisherman’s Walk and Southbourne Beach; alongside this, Bournemouth and Boscombe Beaches gained Seaside Awards.
Both the Blue Flag and Seaside Awards are the quality marks for UK beaches and mean those visiting them can be sure that they are clean and safe and meet the highest environmental standards, as well the tough bathing water quality standards.
Councillor Lawrence Williams, Portfolio Holder for Tourism, Leisure & The Arts said, “We are delighted to have achieved Blue Flag status for four beaches once again and the two Seaside Awards. Everyone takes great pride in our beaches and the seafront team work all year round to ensure visitors have the best experience when visiting our golden coastline.”
The Blue Flag beaches and the Seaside Award beaches have seen a lot of regeneration in the past year and there’s more to come this year and next:
- Alum Chine has seen the addition of the Superhuts being installed
- Durley Chine now boasts a very popular contemporary look café called Chineside
- Boscombe beach will be the first Bournemouth beach to offer exclusive overnight luxury beach huts in 2017.
- Southbourne Beach will have new Superhuts installed this year.
- Bournemouth Beach has had a significant facelift over the last year
- Boscombe Beach has a new American style ‘Prom Diner’ and the UK’s first eco-friendly Mini Golf on Boscombe Pier opens end of May – where the balls feed the fish!
For more information please email:
Mobile: Tel: 07826 998967